Monday, July 28, 2008

I'm an aunt and a future mother :)

I'm an aunt! I had the best weekend visiting my sister, her husband, my mom, and my beautiful new nephew, Nathan James Johnson. He is the most beautiful little boy in the whole wide world... not that I'm biased. It was so great, there really is nothing like holding an infant. He was a week old on Thursday, and just the tiniest thing.

I was reminded how being around a small, innocent child can be such a spiritual experience. As I sat there holding him, humming and rocking him to sleep, I couldn't help but feel impressed upon the great potential of Nathan. I thought about where he came from, and all that lays in store for him. Its so easy for us to forget who we really are, and I'm so grateful for that reminder.

Life has been fun for me lately. I'm single, graduated, and I have a great job. I have the freedom to do what I want, when I want. My life is simple and I can live quite selfishly. I know that will all change once I get married and children are everything that my life revolves around. I still have looked forward to that, but I won't deny that I'm relishing what I have now.

But after spending a few days with that little baby, it reminded me how I would be willing--not just willing but excited--to give it all up. I can't wait. :)

No comments: