Friday, January 22, 2010

Blessings

Do you ever have days when you wonder what else could go wrong? Where complaining just comes all too easily, and you get into this slump of feeling sorry for yourself?

Well, I've been good at that lately. Between working full time, being pregnant (SO INCREDIBLY TIRED!), planning for our baby coming, and trying to be the wife that I want to be that cooks, cleans, balances the budget, and gives my husband all the attention and devotion he deserves, I run out of fuel. Life happens, you get sick, cars break down, parking tickets accidently don't get paid, unexpected expenses happen, dinner sometimes fails, and not always does your hubby get the big fat kiss he expects to get when you see him after a long day.

Marriage is wonderfully hard. I think right now I need to start over, erase all expectations and hopes I had when I was a nine year old little girl playing house. I need to reflect on what I have right now and realize how lucky I am, and take life one step at a time. Sometimes it's easy to think about what you think you should have, all while hundreds of blessings are right in front of you.

Right now, I have a wonderful husband that still loves me when I'm a bratty pregnant wife. Who lets me be emotionally exhausted and cry through my frustrations. A husband that will do anything for me, because he loves me and is so unselfish. I have a knowledge of the fullness of the gospel and a current temple recommend, which paves the way endless blessings and peace. I have a job that is a really good job, a job that I'm lucky to have, and that has given me confidence and skills that will help me throughout my whole life. I have wonderful parents, siblings, friends, and the support of a wonderful extended family. And, of course, we have a child on the way, that will bless our lives beyond measure.

I think one of the things I'm most grateful for is the fact that I'm not laying under a pile of concrete in Haiti, praying to be discovered, starving, dehydrated, injured, and wondering if my family is alive. Nor am I wandering the streets looking into the faces of the thousands of dead bodies hoping to recognize a loved one.

Count your blessings. It will do wonders for your attitude.

2 comments:

emily said...

Amen my dear. Great post. We need to stop and appreciate what we have instead of living in fairytale land pouting when things don't measure up to what we have painted. Thx for the uplifting post

Mrs. Black said...

Congrats Nicole! That is so exciting that you are expecting. We just adopted our first little girl last week and getting the chance to be a mom is truly a gift. Good luck!!!