Saturday, June 7, 2008

And they say PR people are famous for spinning the story...

So a little background for all you viewers that are unfamiliar with the field of PR and the media in general. Public Relations professionals, among many things, are responsible for representing their clients to the media. One of my key responsibilities in my last job was to call reporters and tell them what my clients were up to, what was newsworthy. Getting our clients name in the news is a huge deal...its free advertising and its more credible since it's coming from a supposedly unbiased, third party.

I have developed some un-Christlike feelings for reporters, I must say. I am working to overcome those, so please don't judge me on this.:) Reporters act all interested, say they want to interview your client, you set up the interview, monitor it, and your client gets their hopes up.

And then the article comes out.

And the reporter digs up dirt, focuses on other things, and completely turns the story around. And you come out looking like the bad guy. My new job in advertising is more and more enticing as I see articles come out recently that I landed for clients at the firm I worked with previously.

Anyway, I just had to vent on that. I'm sure reporters are wonderful people deep down, but professionally, I can do without them.

1 comment:

Clint said...

Okay so I have the same feeling towards reporters. I probably haven't told you about how I lived in the Hacking's ward when he killed his wife but I'll have to tell you about it sometime. Anyways the day she went missing and we were all tying to get the police to let us look for her in the park the reporters, one KSL lady in particular, were trying to get us to talk to them but they were really inconsiderate about the whole thing and acted like they could care less how we felt. Anyways I'll just say anytime I see that lady on the news I get some of those not christlike feelings as well.